As we enter the fifth year of the Rebuild Illinois program, it’s clear that the state is undergoing a transformative period in its infrastructure development. With a historic bipartisan capital program led by Gov. JB Pritzker, Illinois is investing more than $128 million in central Cook County alone. For those in the commercial construction sector, this represents a plethora of opportunities for work, skill development, and contributing to community betterment.
Central Cook County: 10 projects to watch
LaGrange Road Overhaul – LaGrange Road (U.S. 12/20/45) over Santa Fe Drive, Sanitary & Ship Canal, I&M Canal & Canadian National Railroad in Countryside, Hodgkins, Justice and Willow Springs
- This ongoing project focuses on bridge repair, deck replacement, and lighting improvements. With construction slated for completion by spring 2024, it’s a long-term commitment that promises to improve safety and mobility.
Pulaski Road Resurfacing – Eisenhower Expressway (Interstate 290) to Cermak Road in Chicago
- This project began in the summer and is expected to wrap up this fall. It involves resurfacing and will require daily lane closures but promises a smoother, safer driving experience upon completion.
East Avenue Reconstruction – East Avenue from Joliet Road to 55th Street in Countryside, Hodgkins and McCook
- started last spring, this project involves intersection reconstruction and resurfacing. It’s expected to be completed by spring 2024.
Cicero Avenue Bridge Deck Resurfacing – Cicero Avenue (Illinois 50) over Beltway Railway Company in Bedford Park and Chicago
- project began in 2021 and aims to complete by the end of this year. It involves bridge deck resurfacing and repairs.
55th Street Widening – 55th Street from Interstate 294 (Tri-State Tollway) to west of Plainfield Road in Western Springs, Lyons Township, Countryside and LaGrange
- includes intersection widening and resurfacing, with a completion date set for fall 2025.
Harlem Avenue Bridge Widening – Harlem Avenue (Illinois 43) over 95th Street (U.S. 12/20) in Oak Lawn
- includes bridge widening and resurfacing. It is anticipated to begin later this fall and completed in the fall of 2025.
East Avenue Traffic Signal Installation – East Avenue at 47th Street in McCook
- scheduled to begin in the fall of 2025 and completed in the fall of 2026.
LaGrange Road Bridge Replacement – (U.S. 12) at Archer Avenue (Illinois 171) and 79th Street in Willow Springs and Justice
- includes bridge replacement with at least one lane to remain open during construction. Work is anticipated to begin in the spring of 2024 and complete in the summer of 2025.