Several Indiana construction companies and individuals have been recognized by the governor for safety initiatives.
Indiana Department of Labor commissioner Rick Ruble presented the Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards at the 2017 Indiana Safety and Health Conference in March. The annual event is hosted by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce and Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers in partnership with the Indiana Department of Labor.
“It is an honor to present these awards to Hoosier businesses and individuals,” Ruble said in a statement. “Workers should remind themselves they don’t need superpowers to be a hero. Being proactive in occupational safety and health and protecting yourself and coworkers is a heroic quality.”
Indiana companies were recognized in the following categories: Education and Outreach, Innovations, Partnerships, and Rising Star.
The 2017 Governor’s Workplace Safety Award recipients for construction are:
- Dow AgroSciences – Education and Outreach (External) for Construction
- Gribbins Insulation Co., Inc. – Education and Outreach (Internal) for Construction
- Steinberger Construction, Inc. – Innovations for Construction
- BMWC Constructors, Inc. – Partnerships for Construction
Indiana Chamber president and CEO Kevin Brinegar said: “A healthier workplace means more productive workers and a more profitable workplace. By providing an environment of workplace safety, these award winners are protecting the company’s most important asset – its workers.”
Meanwhile, the Everyday Safety Hero Award recognized those Hoosiers who have championed workplace safety and health excellence in their respective workplaces. Individuals, who may not be safety and health professionals, were nominated by their peers or organizations. Winners were selected based on a narrative provided by their respective nominators.
- Dennis DeMoss, general superintendent for Rieth-Riley of Goshen;
- Larry Tames, director of laundry and transportation services for Franklin United Methodist Community of Franklin; and
- Jennifer Hart, payroll clerk for LSC Communications of Crawfordsville
- Tony Faris, equipment operator for River Metals Recycling of Greensburg
The annual safety awards are a result of a partnership among government, business, and safety leaders including the Indiana Department of Labor on behalf of Governor Eric J. Holcomb, the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, and the Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.